Saturday, August 18, 2018

One Good Decision (33 Days)



My Sober Time app tells me I'm on day 33 of sobriety, which is about 30 days longer than I've been without alcohol for the past 9 or 10 years. It was exciting to see the number 30 a few days ago, but now, just 3 days later, it seems like a short time frame. So I adjusted the way I thought about it and came up with this: If I was still drinking, I would have had ~5 drinks every night for the last 33 days. This calculates to:

165 DRINKS in 33 days
If I had been drinking wine, I would have consumed 20,625 extra calories in the last 33 days.
If I had been drinking vodka w/ lemonade, or vodka w/ Gatorade, or whatever I chose to mix it with, I would have consumed approximately 25,750 extra calories in the last 33 days.
If I had been drinking beer, I would have consumed at least 16,335 extra calories in the last 33 days.

HOLY SHIT!!

I haven't stepped on the scale, but I would hope that I've lost some weight. I don't think I'm compensating for the lack of alcohol with extra food. I actually think I am eating less. But the weight loss is secondary right now. I don't want to step on the scale, see the number hasn't moved, and feel depressed or angry. So I'll avoid it for now.

The metal taste in my mouth that I get when craving alcohol is pretty much non-existent. Happy for that, because that was always the sign that I would move mountains to get to a liquor store as soon as possible. Now, it's mostly just a craving for something fun to drink at the end of the day, and sparking water has come to my rescue in a big way. I have 8-packs in my refrigerator, in the pantry, and in storage in the garage.

I'm not sleeping as well as I was a few weeks ago. It's not solid anymore but that has to do with back/hip/knee pain that I've had for a while now. I absolutely hate tossing and turning, but at least I still wake up refreshed instead of queasy, swollen, and miserable.

I'm happier, healthier, kinder, and softer. I have no plans to change this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment